- Environmental Section
- Archaeology & Paleontology
- Environmental Bulletins
- Environmental Documents for NDOT Projects
- Environmental Guidance Library
- NDOT Facilities
- Fish & Wildlife
- Hazardous Materials
- NEPA Assignment
- Expand Noise & Air
- Historic Preservation
- Roadside Development
- Stormwater Management
- Training & Certification
- Tecumseh Historic Square
- Draft Section 106 PA
During the rapid expansion of the Interstate Highway System and other roadways in the 20th century, communities began to recognize that highway traffic noise and construction noise had become important environmental impacts. In the 1972 Federal-aid Highway Act, Congress required FHWA to develop a noise standard for new Federal-aid highway projects. While providing national criteria and requirements for all highway agencies, the FHWA Noise Standard gives highway agencies flexibility that reflects state-specific attitudes and objectives in approaching the problem of highway traffic and construction noise. This policy contains the NDOT’s policy on how highway traffic noise impacts are defined, noise abatement is evaluated, noise abatement decisions are made, and how noise impacts/abatement are decided for highway projects.
The Noise & Air Section is responsible for:
- Performing noise and air quality studies to determine the environmental impact of projects.
- Preparing final noise reports.
- Designing noise abatement solutions.
- Conducting public hearings to address noise and air impacts.
The links below provide information relating to NDOT’s Noise Program.
- Noise Analysis & Abatement Policy - PDF (effective January 2022)
- NDOT Traffic Noise Analysis Guidance
- NDOT Noise Policy and Guidance (January 2022)
The purpose of the Nebraska Department of Transportation air quality program is to protect public health and welfare from transportation related pollutants by following the requirements of the Clean Air Act established by Congress in 1970 and revised in 1990.
The links below provide information relating to our air quality program:
- Mobile Source Air Toxics guidance document
- Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) - air quality analysis agreement between the Nebraska Department of Environment and Energy (NDEE) and NDOT
- Air Quality - Ozone Fact Sheet
- Air Quality - Health Effects of Ozone
- Nebraska Department of Environment and Energy - Air Quality Division