About the Highway Safety Office
The Nebraska Department of Transportation Highway Safety Office (HSO) is responsible for developing and implementing effective strategies to reduce the state’s traffic-related injury and fatality rates. These strategies may take the form of stand-alone projects, activities, and/or more comprehensive long-term programs. Both traditional and innovative strategies are encouraged and utilized to support the HSO goals.
The HSO is responsible for the administration of the Federal Highway Safety funds and for facilitating the Highway Safety Programs supported by these funds.
Any issue related to traffic safety may be considered under the role and responsibilities of the HSO. Personnel are available for providing resource information and referral to other appropriate agencies or organizations.
Based on problem identification results, the following priority traffic safety areas are being targeted. To address these problem areas; grants, training opportunities, and educational items are available.
- Safety Belts / Occupant Protection
- Young Drivers
Other Areas of Concern
- Motorcycles / Mopeds
- Distracted Driving
- Drowsy Driving
- Older Drivers
For more information on these areas, visit the Driving Safely page.
NDOT Highway Safety Office
P.O. Box 94612
Lincoln, NE 68509
Calendar of Events
- November 2022
- 9/12 - 12/24 Rail Grade Crossing Campaign
- 11/23 – 11/27 Thanksgiving Holiday Travel (Impaired Driving)
- 11/24 – Thanksgiving Holiday Travel (Occupant Protection)
- 11/31 – Pre-Holiday Season (Impaired Driving)
- December 2022
- 9/12 – 12/24 Rail Grade Crossing Campaign
- 12/14 – 1/1/23 Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over (Impaired Driving)
- 12/26 – 12/31 TV Bureau of Advertising Roadblock (Buzzed Driving is Drunk Driving)
- January 2023
- 1/1 – Happy New Year!