About the Highway Safety Office
The Nebraska Department of Transportation Highway Safety Office (NDOT-HSO) is responsible for developing and implementing effective strategies to reduce the state’s traffic-related injury and fatality rates. These strategies may take the form of stand-alone projects, activities, and/or more comprehensive long-term programs. Both traditional and innovative strategies are encouraged and utilized to support the HSO goals.
The HSO is responsible for the administration of the Federal Highway Safety funds and for facilitating the Highway Safety Programs supported by these funds.
Any issue related to traffic safety may be considered under the role and responsibilities of the HSO. Personnel are available for providing resource information and referral to other appropriate agencies or organizations.
Based on problem identification results, the following priority traffic safety areas are being targeted. To address these problem areas; grants, training opportunities, and educational items are available:
- Safety Belts / Occupant Protection
- Young Drivers
Other Areas of Concern
- Motorcycles / Mopeds
- Older Drivers
For more information on these areas, visit the Driving Safely page.
NDOT Highway Safety Office
5001 South 14th
P.O. Box 94612
Lincoln, NE 68509
Calendar of Events - 2018
- 4 - Super Bowl 51 - Impaired Driving, Fans Don’t Let Fans Drive Drunk
- 17 - St. Patrick’s Day – Impaired Driving, Buzzed Driving is Drunk Driving
- National Distracted Driving Awareness Month – U Text. U Drive. U Pay.
2018 Campaign Materials
- National Alcohol Awareness Month
- 12-16 - Distracted Driving Enforcement, U Drive. U Text. U Pay.
2018 PEAK Enforcement Kit
- TBD - National Work Zone Awareness Week
- Motorcycle Awareness Month – Share the Road
- Bicycle Safety Month – Share the Road
- National Youth Traffic Safety Month
- 5 - Cinco de Mayo – Impaired Driving, Buzzed Driving is Drunk Driving
- 9 - Bike to School Day
- 13 -19 - National Police Week
- 20 -26 - EMS Week
- 21 - June 3 – Click It Or Ticket Mobilization
- 6 – Secure Your Load Day
- 18 - National Ride to Work Day – Share the Road
- 4 - Fourth of July – Impaired Driving, Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over
- 31 – National Heat Stroke Prevention Day
- Back to School Month – Walk, Bike, and Ride to School Safely
- 15- September 3 - Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over Crackdown
- 23-29 – Child Passenger Safety (CPS) Week
- 29 - CPS, Seat Check Saturday
- 1-5- Drive Safely Work Week
- 3 - Walk to School Day
- 14-20 - National Teen Driver Safety Week
- 22-26 - National School Bus Safety Week
- 31 - Halloween – Impaired Driving, Buzzed Driving is Drunk Driving
- 22 - Thanksgiving Holiday Travel – Occupant Protection, Buckle Up. Every Trip. Every Time
- 23-December 12 - Pre-Holiday Season – Impaired Driving, Buzzed Driving is Drunk Driving
- National Drunk and Drugged Driving Prevention Month
- 14 - Jan. 2, 2019 - Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over Crackdown